In January of 2010, I wrote a post where I revealed that my word for that year would be ” Encourage.” You can read why I chose it by clicking on the highlighted word, encourage.
Following the lead of several bloggers I had long admired, I chose a word that I thought might help me be more mindful of those who by word or action had a positive effect on my life or the lives of others.
Whenever the opportunity presented, I included links and names so my readers might also enjoy the gifts that some of the people I noted here brought to my life.
During the year, I never bothered to keep track of how many times I used the word encourage or the category, ” One Word – Encourage.” Looking back earlier today, I discovered 33 posts with stories and links to people who inspired me and in their way provided a bit of encouragement without even knowing it.
As 2010 moves aside for 2011, I wanted to share a link to those 33 posts in case you need a bit a light in your life right now and if there is someone who has been an encouraging presence in your life, please feel free to leave a comment about them below. If it is a place or an experience rather than a person, I hope you will share that with us as well.
Warmest wishes to each of you for a Happy New Year and many thanks for stopping by to read or comment.
33 Posts meant to Encourage:
1) I began the year with a walk in the snow and shared a bit of my neighborhood and the people who live there.
2) John helped me provide a special image for you when I wrote about ” The Dance Of Life.”
3) ” Seeing The Boundary Stones ” was a thank you of sorts for some encouraging comments from my readers when I was feeling kind of blue.
4) Only a few months after taking what would turn out to be our last walk with a dear friend, I wrote about her in ” The Last Walk – Measured Steps.”
5) ” The Light Of Friendship,” does not need an explaination … just thanks.
6) A clear example of how ” Believing Can Make It So.”
7) In ” Reaching For More, “ I encourage you to stop by my friend Mariellen’s place after sharing another one of my stories first.
8 ) ” Hanging On When It Looks Hopeless “ is about a gift I learned from my darling husband John.
9) More words of gratitude for my readers and their kind comments in what followed after a difficult time while “ Cleaning Out The Attic.”
10) This one addresses some heavy mother-daughter stuff and links to a few people in, ” I Get By With A Little Help From My Friends.”
11) After the death of actress Dixie Carter, I wrote a little something that included a significant woman in my life in ” Dixie Carter – A Strong Southern Woman.”
12) A joyful story of how a group of women brought about something close to a miracle with hope, hard work, and belief. It is way more uplifting than the title, ” Bringing It to The Masses – No More Twitter Bashing. “
13) This has to be read … I can’t explain ” When Grief Comes Without Warning “ without crying.
14) ” A Leaping Ginger Cat Takes Flight “ helped me share a course designed to help creative types become airborne.
15) I linked outrageously in this post where I gushed about my new blog crush. Penelope Trunk is a woman who continually shocks me with a fair amount of what she has to say and while I don’t always agree with her, I always leave thinking something new.
16) ” Mister Rogers & Me – A Nantucket Film Festival “ shares the film success of couple of brothers who tell the story of Fred Rogers and his impact on the life of one of the brothers.
17) I take you on a little ” Walk In The Park With Mariellen Romer “ in this post. It’s a sweet trip about reaching for your dreams.
18) ” Chewing On A Dreamy Idea ” is about inspiration and some of the places it came from for me last year.
19) Letters from friends and how RSS feeds are like a modern-day mail box are only part of the story in ” RSS Feeds – Like Getting A Letter From A Friend. “
20) I wrote, ” Building A Home One Mouthful At A Time “ while considering how others accomplish difficult tasks.
21) More special stories and moments from my past in ” Sharing A Story – My Teary Moment With Kenny Loggins. “
22) I talked a bit more about the process and linked to some inspiration in ” Kelly Rae Roberts – Taking Control With Flying Lessons. “
23) ” Missing The Good Stuff “ has a link you really ought to see.
24) This post was all about asking for what you want in ” Someone From Evansville Indiana Has The Ability To Change My Life.”
25) I was a lady in waiting holding my breath here when I wrote, ” No Word From Evansville But Gifts Of Another Kind Instead.”
26) Remember what I said about asking for what you want … this was a gift of enormous proportions for me as I was able to heal in part a bad memory when my Evansville reader responded to post 24. I shared her message in ” Welcoming Rita From Evansville Indiana.” Thanks again Rita!
27) A post about being saved as a child and drowning is part of this post in ” When Drowning – Remember – Hope Floats. “
28) Carolyn and Kim always inspire through their own blogs or by the things they say in comments. I had a chance to meet up with Kim on a trip to Paris and I talk about our meeting and her in ” To Carolyn From Paris. “
29) In these tough financial times I found Donna Freedman a great person to check in with for consumer tips and she shows up in a Paris post titled ” Shakespeare And Company – Surviving And Thriving. “
30) This mega cool post is where I make my music video début courtesy of my friend Benjamin Wagner’s ‘Forever Young video.
31) ” Special Delivery – First Giveaway Produces A Winner ” documented my first giveaway when I gifted a copy the music CD ‘ Forever Young’ to one of my readers.
32) I was grateful for reader support in ” One Step At A Time “ where I talked about receiving a rejection for a job involving writing.
33) ” Mother Love – Quietly Sharing The Wisdom “ shares a story of how I met a blogging friend in New Zealand and the impact of her words.
Whew! 33 links is a lot of work … I hope you enjoy a look back as much as I did. Feel free to pass all or some of this post on to someone you think might need a little encouragement and I’ll be back with more in 2011.
I shall squirrel away some time to go through each of these. Thank YOU dear friend for your encouragement this year and before. I always feel better after reading your words. Happy New Year!
You certainly encouraged me, Elizabeth, sometimes to the point of speechlessness. Thank you so much, once again. You do very good work. (I’m wondering for myself if don’tstopnow counts as a single word??)
Happy New Year!
Thanks for mentioning me again. I’m grateful again.
Interesting idea, to pick one word. I’ll have to consider which word I’d choose for 2011. (Hint: It won’t be “conform.”)
I love your blog for many reasons – at the top of the list would be the inspiration and encouragement you give by so generously sharing so much of your life.
Thanks for taking the time to pull together so many links of encouragement from a wonderful year of blogging.
Very best wishes to you and yours for the new year!
What a wonderful way to reflect upon the last year. Best wishes to you and yours for the new one up and coming!!
As grateful as I am for your kind comments about my blog and me … I was actually curious as to how other folks or some of your experiences in 2010 might have encouraged you in some way.
Your experiences expand into a bigger circle when you share it.
Now stop making me blush … but thank you. 🙂
What an impressive body of work. My word for this year, as it has been in so many, will continue to be “gratitude.” It seems especially important in these times to “focus on the donut and not upon the hole.” 🙂
Elizabeth, thank you for the time and effort that you put into this blog, for the photos and words and especially the feelings that you so generously share with all of us.
Well yes, I do have things to say about ‘who/how and so on’ encouraged me in 2010; it’s too long for a reply and you’ve given me an idea for a blog post. Let me give you a taster with, “51/49”, and pick up the thread from there over at my place tomorrow. I’ll link back here so those that want to, can walk along as I tell you all about it ..
Were you a pilot again in this year’s NYE fancy dress?
Hello Elizabeth .. Of course you can be in my collage for 2011 🙂 we must try and arrange a meet up 🙂 take care and Happy New Year.