Although my new space is finally ready for sharing, I am going to be a bit mean and show it to you a little at a time this week. After months of planning and work it feels too special to just pop a overall shot or two of it up on the internet without a closer look at certain areas and maybe a story or two along the way. If fact, today I am going to show you my chair redo which I gave you a glance at in it’s original state here. Even though it was only about 25 years old, the fabric had faded and needed some updating especially since it was going to be housed in my new space.
(The pictures of the redo are not my best, but I was so focused on the work I had to remind myself to snap a few of the process.)
This is how the chair looked before I took the pliers and assorted other tools to it.
You can’t tell from this picture, but the fabric was past it’s day.
It had about 5 yards of decorative nails that needed to be removed.
Even though they were in strips, they didn’t give up their position easily.
The real challenge was in getting the staples out. That took more hours and muscle than I would have believed before I started the project.
As I took things apart, I noted how it was all put together and took photographs when I remembered so I could refer back if I needed to see how it looked originally.
Hmm, now what to do here with these fabric covered buttons. Since I was going with a less than traditional fabric color choice, I decided to use a different look here as well.
After taking it all apart, I laid the pieces of fabric out to use as a pattern placing it on top of my green piece. A quick look told me that in order to get a proper cut to my fabric, the pieces I was using as a pattern needed a touch of the iron.
Using my lovely steam iron that I had suggested as a gift for Christmas, I carefully ironed away all of the wrinkles.
Then I pinned it down and cut my replacement pieces.
Here you can see the padding underneath waiting for its new covering. It still retained the previous shape and I was careful not to damage it when I was taking off the rusty-orange colored original fabric.
Having the space already in place for the tufted spots made it easy to replace the covered buttons with the clear ones I used.
This is the back of the chair minus the padding that I set aside to be reused later.
I checked my measurements before I began to staple it down.
Here you see the padding.
This is a close-up of the buttons and tufting. The clear buttons show green through them which I really like.
This photograph shows you the finished chair with the new look. I’ll be back tomorrow with more from my new space.
That’s a fabulous reupholstering job – can I send you a few old chairs to work on?????
Like the choice of fabric and modern buttons – the eclectic mix is going to be perfect for your special room. Looking forward to seeing the entire reveal!
Wow, I am so impressed. I have a settee that needs recovering, I may well come to you for some tips!. Looking forward to the rest of the reveal…..
You are one brave woman to tackle reupholstering on your own. I like to think of myself as crafty-handy, but I have never dreamed of attempting something like this. Can’t wait to see your room. Having just finished a bedroom remodel (another sort of room of my own), I know how satisfying this can be.
Mom is ready for your visit…we are lining up the chairs now 🙂
Wonderful. I am laughing about the rapidly forming queue of people wanting you to re-upholster for them! You must be so pleased about the success of this project and doubly so because it was such hard work.
Like the rest of us I am looking forward to the reveal of the rest of the room as well. (Qui moi, a sheep? Baaaa….!)
BTW, is your lovely chair rosewood, or mahogony, do you know? The green is ace with it.
You have done a great job! I think that I would have been very nervous taking the old chair apart in case I was unable to put it all back together again!
Oh wow – this is fabulous!! I love the way you just jump in there and DO it! Believing you can is so important – the key to so many things (and something I really need to work on in myself). I love to visit your blog – I’m always inspired. Thanks.
lol, you’re keeping us hanging huh?
Love the chair, it looks so cosy, like a mossy bank.
Utterly awesome! I too love those clear buttons showing the green through them — the entire thing is what I call a brilliant combination of vision and talent – good on you a million times over.
Can’t wait to see more!
You’re mean to say that in the title and then move on to the chair! Although your work on the chair IS most impressive — what a lot of determination and elbow grease that took — not to mention the creativity to decide on fabric color, buttons, etc. It looks great.
Waiting to see your space!!
wow Elizabeth what patience….I would have given up when I realised I had to get the iron out!!!
Having never even attempted to re-upholster anything before..I am completely wowed and impressed. Great work!!!
I’m so glad that you reclaimed this chair, I loved the shape of it. You’ve done a lovely job of bringing it back to life. Can’t wait to see the rest of the room!
I love this chair!